[personal profile] tammylc
As I was lying down in elevator lobbies and the like on Sunday morning, I was telling people "Don't mind me, I've been standing since Thursday" and that was mostly true. I got out to the convention around 1 pm on Thursday, and Chris Wurtsmith and I discussed the decorating plan. Chris has hundreds of strings of Christmas and other lights, and I recruited him to jazz things up for us. We used the 3-M Command adhesive clips, which worked great and didn't hurt the hotel wallpaper in the slightest.

I'd hoped to put a good dent in my shopping on Thursday, but I spent far too much time dithering about the room setup. I did get out to Meijer, so I could get the portions of my shopping list that I needed to get from there, some things [livejournal.com profile] celticmom1967 needed me to pick up for KidFusion, as well as supplies for the party after the concom/GoH dinner. Got back to the hotel and got things all ready for the gathering, then we headed off to dinner. I was between Author GoH Vernor Vinge and Fan GoH Chuck Firment, with Science GoH Mitchell Burnside-Clapp seated across from me, which made for interesting dinner conversation to be sure. Towards the end of dinner I started not feeling well and just started feeling worse once I was back at the hotel. By then my ConSuite head, [livejournal.com profile] dlacey, had arrived, so I passed things off to her and headed off to bed around 11. I'm really glad I did that. Even though I was only able to get about 6 hours of sleep, I felt much better in the morning and was able to head into the weekend something less than fully exhausted.

Woke up Friday morning intending to get off to Costco early and get that shopping run out of the way ASAP, only to get online to get directions etc and realize that Costco didn't open until 11. I also realized that I'd neglected to get a check from [livejournal.com profile] rmeidaking on Thursday night, so couldn't actually pay for things at Costco. Roxanne wasn't expected to arrive until 1, so I made arrangements to have her meet me there when she arrived, figuring even if we arrived right at 11, it was going to take two hours to do that much shopping anyway. Meanwhile, Diane and I met up with [livejournal.com profile] rikhei at GFS, and grabbed the items we needed from there. Unfortunately, they did NOT have the pre-hardboiled and peeled eggs at that location. So I called (and woke up - sorry!) [livejournal.com profile] elizilla, who had not yet left Ann Arbor and agreed to stop and pick up a couple of cases for us. We picked out our meat and set the deli guy to slicing it for us, but he wasn't done by the time we finished our other shopping, so I sent Rikhei and Diane back to the hotel with what we'd already picked up, and I went off to Trader Joes.

At Trader Joes I got a case of wine, 3 different bottles of four $4.99 wines, including this really nice Spanish wine I'd enjoyed a couple weeks ago. Plus some cookies as a gift for the hotel front desk staff. Back to the hotel to meet Matt Fanny, who had agreed to drive the big rental truck to Costco for me. Didn't get out nearly as promptly as I'd hoped, in part because of discovering that we'd received a bunch of donated food, including 4 or 5 flats of 60 individual bags of potato chips! As well as some crackers, cookies and 3 jars of marshmallow fluff. And the same person was offering to get bread for us for an Aunt Millie's warehouse near her house for 39 to 89 cents per loaf! All very cool, but figuring it out took time, so we it was after 12 before we got on the road to Costco.

Roxanne met us there, and she, Matt Fanny and I started working through the shopping list I'd made. I was really happy to have done the pre-research that led to the shopping list, because it was very fast to just buy instead of also shop, and as long as I was only buying what was on my list, I knew I was on target for my budget. We filled two flatbed carts (one with soda, one with water) and 3 or 4 large shopping carts! I'm planning to post my shopping list once I've had a chance to update it, so you can all see the crazy quantities!

It was about 2:30 when we got back to the hotel. So much for the consuite opening at 3 pm... I recruited some early arrivers to help us get things set up, and we were pretty much up and running by 4 pm. But I spent much of the rest of the evening feeling overwhelmed and behind. We were still decorating the beach room after the consuite was officially opened, but that had to get finished, because the beach party was scheduled to start at 10.

But that will have to wait until another post.
Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
Account name:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
HTML doesn't work in the subject.


Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.



April 2010

25 2627282930 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 19th, 2017 07:20 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios